Sunday, August 7, 2011

Back Stories, Symbols, and Mosaics










An accumulation of stones, bricks, cement, and glass make one building, and an accumulation of many buildings create a city. This, in microcosm, is true of mosaics in which small ceramic cubes accumulated make an image. The colorful hues of sea blue, geranium red, grass green, turquoise, and gold used in the mosaics from the 4th century in the British Museum captivated my attention on a recent visit. Mosaics are comprised of stone, pottery, or glass in order to make a decorative surface used for walls, ceilings, or floors. The individuals who made mosaics during ancient Roman times used specifically cut cubes called tesserae. Hunting or fishing scenes and scenes of banquets or of races held at the amphitheater were usually depicted in Roman mosaics. As a feminist and art historian, I was especially interested in the symbols and the hues used in the following mosaics: Atalanta, on Horseback, Spears Leopard and Edible Fish from the Mediterranean Sea.

In a sea of male busts and images of armed male Roman leaders and officials, it was refreshing to see a mosaic of a powerful, strong, and armed female named Atalanta on horseback. Atalanta means secure and immovable. According to Greek mythology, Atalanta was a young maiden huntress who refused to marry any man who couldn’t beat her in a foot race. Eventually Melanion, a Greek youth, won the race, and both married. As I gazed at the mosaic, I was inspired by the strength, courage, and determination she portrayed. Atalanta looked fierce in her armored suit. You would not want to be caught in an argument with her because you knew she would win. Yet, at the same time I respected her and looked up to her for I wished to have some of her strength and courage to help me achieve my goals and overcome my obstacles. I just starred at the mosaic motionless while losing myself to my thoughts of how I could be more like Atalanta in real life.

As I glanced at my watch, I realized I had only a half hour left before I had to meet my class in the main lobby to discuss our impressions of the museum. I quickly came to the conclusion that a half-hour would not be enough to finish my tour of the Ancient Roman exhibit since I enjoy thoroughly examining the details that comprise exhibits. However, I knew I had to rush and glance at only a few art works that caught my eye. As I was quickly perusing the rest of the exhibit, the use of vivid colors: deep sea blue, coral, brown, and tan and the sense of vitality portrayed in the Edible Fish of the Mediterranean Sea caught my attention. At this point, I realized my fascination with mosaics. As I read the tiny inscription on the right of the mosaic, I learned about the symbolic meaning of fishes. Fishes are symbolic of vitality, fertility, eternity, and transformation. Also, these mosaics were usually placed in bedrooms or in religious meeting places to distinguish the faithful.

While I stared at the mosaic in front of me and thought of the length of time an artist would take to complete a mosaic, I glanced at my watch and realized I had only five minutes to spare to get to the lobby. I scurried. However, the large crowds of tourists and students made it difficult for me to exit the exhibit. I felt like I was in a maze where the tourists and students were traffic cones I had to circumnavigate in order to get to the lobby. As I reached my class in the lobby, I breathed a sigh of relief to see that I was not the only one who was few minutes late. It appears we all had the same problem: tourists. As I waited for my classmates, I glanced around the lobby’s entrance and came to the conclusion that my trip to the museum was worthwhile since it broadened my perception and expanded my knowledge about mosaics and Roman culture. At the same time, I got to master the technique of circumnavigating tourists in small-spaced museum hallways.

No comments:

Post a Comment