Monday, August 8, 2011

A Sticky and Warm Afternoon in Syon Park




Syon Park ruined my expectations. The mansion and the park turned out to be a lot smaller and plain-looking than I imagined. But, once I entered the mansion, I was surprised to find that it was filled with many details, colors, and architectural designs. One of the rooms I was most captivated by was the dining room. The light peach walls against the light wood floor and the gold trimmed columns and ceiling made the room appear very stately. Also, six human sized marble statues, which represent the mythological gods and goddesses of food and wine, are placed on the side of the wall where the fireplace is located. The number of statues, gold trimmings, and mahogany wood furniture the mansion contained depended upon how wealthy and powerful the family wanted to appear. As I entered the mansion, I yearned to be a member of such a family. However, once I was finished with the tour, I changed my mind.
While in the dining room, I could not help but wonder what it would be like to live in this mansion and to be a part of this powerful family. As a woman, I wondered what my role would be in the family: what was expected of a daughter, what kind of ensemble I would wear, and with whom I would socialize. I would probably be expected to marry a young man of great prestige by my early 20s. I would be expected to socialize only with people from my class rank and to entertain the guests with lighthearted stories about any fascinating encounters I may have had or about my children and the schemes they may be involved in. For a good portion of the fifteen minutes the class was in the dining room, I started imagining a made up scenario of how a stately dinner would be carried out. However, my daydream came to a smashing halt as the tour guide shouted, “On to the next room.” I realized at that moment that it probably would have been wonderful to be a part of a wealthy and powerful family. However, realizing the social limitations the women of such a rank had made me appreciate my freedom and my current class rank.



1 comment: