Monday, August 8, 2011

Visiting Westminster as a Tourist



Edward the Confessor began the building of the gothic church of Westminster Abbey in 1042. It was not completed until 1090, long after his death. Since then, Westminster became a coronation church and the resting place for seventeen monarchs, such as Anne of Cleves – the wife of King Henry VIII, Mary - Queen of Scots, and Elizabeth I. The church is an artifact of British royal wealth. More importantly, Westminster is a physical representation of the hierarchal social structure that surrounds and comprises British culture.
Once I entered Westminster, I was awe-struck by the visual representation of wealth within the church. Marble, granite, stone, mahogany wood, and gold fill the church. The church is filled with national flags, tombstones, sculptures, and busts of important musicians, scientists, writers, armed leaders, and past ruling monarchs, like Charles Darwin, Charles Dickens, Sir Isaac Newton, John Andre, Henry Purcell, and King Edward the Confessor. The vast number of all these revered objects and the impressive style of architecture can make Westminster claustrophobic and overwhelming to the viewer. It made me feel very tense and uneasy. The stark plainness of the surrounding stone walls, the gold etchings on the ceilings, and the stern-faced security officials, all of whom wore red robes made me feel out of place.
I felt confined within Westminster. I could not be myself. I could not speak in a normal tone. I had to whisper. I could not take any pictures within the church. And if you ventured to take a picture, the security guards rebuked you. Moreover, you will have to delete the photo or photos taken all while they watch you carry out their orders. Also, there were no pews in the center of the church that visitors could sit and relax in. Standing was the ideal position. Besides having to stand throughout the tour, I also had to experience being squished between other tourists as other tour groups tried to squeeze through the small hallways of Westminster. Although I appreciated the history, the art, and the architecture that surrounded Westminster, I did not appreciate how I was treated as a tourist.

No comments:

Post a Comment